Thursday, September 25, 2008

Presidential Address


I must say I was surprisingly pleased with President Bush's speech last night. It seemed very sincere and heart-felt. Undoubtedly, he has been under harsh scrutiny the past few years, and I myself am guilty of the "hatred for Bush" bandwagon but his address got me contemplating. Sometimes I find myself actually feeling bad for this guy. Is the economy and country's current situation due to President Bush's reign? Or is it just bad timing for any president to be in office? What would've happened if we didn't invade Iraq? Would America be worse off?

I think many of us are quick to judge, especially someone who is in a leadership position. Are humans just innately judgmental and ignorant? Or is it something that is bred in us as Americans? Blame others, blame the president, blame your neighbor, blame your dog. Before we place the blame, I think we need to step back and see what the real cause is. I know I'm guilty of assumptions, and many, many times I am dead wrong. How does the old adage go? "When we 'assume' we make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'". How true that statement is.

Anyway, just some food for your thought.

3 comments:

Missouri Jacobsons said...

Engar! I found you and must say that I have been very interested in your last few blogs and couldn't agree with you more! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts and opinions! Love and miss ya, Jen!

Nate, Jenny and Amelia said...

So I'm just catching up on all your posts, but if you really want to know some of the causes of the current economic situation we face, google "community reinvestment act" of 1995. It's not the only reason we are where we are, but for some reason people haven't been talking about this in the news!

Ashley Blackburn said...

My brother actually just told me about that act yesterday. Hmmm...maybe I'll post a blog about it!