Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Goodbye unemployment...


Being let go from a job can be very discouraging, and quite frankly depressing. But the one good thing about this experience are the opportunities that suddenly presented themselves. If only I knew back in April, when my principal came in my room and told me that they wouldn't be "renewing my contract" that I wouldn't have to fret, indulge in my self-pity, and wallow in my hopelessness, then the bullet wouldn't have been as deep. Things always get better. Always. It's extremely easy to question your ability as a professional, to question your self-confidence and to ask the question, "who will hire me now?". But never lose faith in yourself. That's all we really have, right? When we start doubting our abilities, talents and skills, we only make things more difficult for ourselves. I'm grateful for the experience. It genuinely has made me a stronger person. I know that I'll look back a couple years from now and laugh.

Well...I'm not teaching but I am writing. I got a job as a technical writer for a company called Docuprep. Best part is, not only does my boss live two doors down from me, but he's also my bishop. That means from now on, no missing church, no missing work and never committing a sin that requires a bishop appointment. Ever. But I must admit...he is an awesome guy. Awesome enough to give me a job.

Goodbye unemployment. It was great relationship while it lasted. But, I knew it wouldn't last forever.

7 comments:

Missouri Jacobsons said...

Congrats Ash, I am very excited for you. As I read this post I found myself shacking my head, I completely agree with you. I have been experiencing the self pity/doubt in my current profession but finally told myself that this was getting me no where and that I was valuable as a professional on so many levels. This positive attituded enabled me to pull of an amazing three day training conference and not only did I get recognition from my command but from higher up. This "I can get through it and am valuable" attitude is so much better than the alternate! Keep your readers updated on how it goes, we are interested to follow!

anna said...

Congratulations Ashley!!!

The Neilson Family said...

Congratulations on your new job! That sounds so fun. You will be great! When do you start? That would have been nice to know about, than you could have appreciated your lazy couch days much better! Miss ya!

Ashley and Ezra said...

you know how this happened dont you? Well, I'll tell you...
Your bishop was casually walking past your front window every day at random times throughout the week, and he noticed that no matter what time of day he walked by, you were asleep on the couch with potatoe chip crumbs all over your pajama shirt... He took pitty on you and now here you are with a job offer... Hmmm?
(as you know, I'm kidding, and I couldnt be more happy for you!!! You are going to be freaking great! Love you!)

Ashley Blackburn said...

so true ash...or it could be bearing my testimony every fast sunday to let everyone in the ward how desperate i am for a job and how awesome i am.

Raising Helm said...

Yeah for you! I hope you enjoyed a small break and of course look forward to your new found opportunity. I have to admit...I actually thought about getting a small job (side job) and then i started looking (online) and that was the end of my "thought"- Looking is not too fun, but I am so HAPPY for you and grateful that you have a good thoughtful bishop. GOOD LUCK! and GO GET 'EM!!!

Melissa said...

Congrats Ash! Also what a sweet hubby you have!