Thursday, June 4, 2009

Little Red Riding Hood Here We Come!



This Saturday, Carlee and I will attempt to ride 100 miles on a bike. Yes, you heard me right. The annual Little Red Riding Hood bike tour is finally here, and we're registered!

I have grown to slowly appreciate biking. I say slowly because it was more of a forced friendship. My knee, which is equivalent to a 95-year-old, morbidly obese man's knee doesn't allow me to walk (very well), use stairs (very well), hike, run, skip, wrestle, do yoga, play soccer, use the stair master, use the tread mill, snowboard, water ski, squat or anything that requires a knee. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to have a prosthetic leg. Do I want pity? Maybe. But in all seriousness, does anyone have a saw? Even though I try to get people to feel bad for me, I know it could be worse. Much worse. What if I didn't really have a leg? Well, then I couldn't BIKE! Biking is my new discovery, that allows me to get a great cardio work out while my knee is in absolutely NO pain. Genius, I tell you.

I read Laura's blog about running (which I thoroughly enjoyed) and decided to advertise and promote biking. If anyone, regardless of any knee injuries, is interested in cycling you should heavily consider riding with me (and Carlee when she moves back) this summer. Like running, it's always better to ride with a group of bad ass girls!

Let me know.

Peace.

13 comments:

The Neilson Family said...

Good Luck in your race! That is really funny. What will you be like when you are 95? Darn knees!

Raising Helm said...

Hmmm...I will have to think about that whole idea of riding under such intimidating circumstances and of course next to bad "A" chicas such as yourselves. Sounds very exciting, exhausting, and inspiring...That is awesome that your knee is free of elderly pain when biking. Good Luck! I am very excited for you guys!!!

laura said...

"Little Red Riding Hood HEAR we come"...??? Let's change that "hear" to "here" before any of your English students see it :) Seriously though, Cort and I are definitely getting road bikes in the near future so we can bike with you. Can't wait and good luck on Saturday. It's weird how much I miss you.

xo.

Erin Bradley said...

Im in. Seriously, call me when you guys ride.

Erin Bradley said...

Oh and good luck with the little red riding hood thing!!! Let me know how it goes.

anna said...

i'd love to ride with you two! I did the little red riding hood race one year and it was fun! you guys will like it. Also, if i remember correctly, many of the ladies dressed like they were insane so you may be in for a treat. you also get a t shirt, which is possibly why i rode a whole 100 miles in the first place.

Ashley Blackburn said...

Laura, "Hear" was supposed to be a pun. No it wasn't. You're right. I'm retarded.

Ashley Blackburn said...

Anna, Erin--please go riding with me. I will have lots of free time this summer so we should go whenever!

Jake and Denae said...

Hey Ash... Jake got me a killer road bike for my bday... call me and we can get hit by cars together friend

Carlee said...

we totally kicked ass this weekend!! how does your body feel? I'm getting a massage tomorrow.

Melissa said...

You are funny! How are you doing? I am guessing the race is over?
Miss

BA Nygren said...

Funny you mention it because I too have finally found a love for biking. By no means am I even close to doing anything like you guys just did (100 miles... are you guys insane!) but I am working on it. Anytime you want to go, let me know!

Ashley and Ezra said...

I think I could love bike riding too... maybe one day I will have my very own bike and I could come along on these exclusive rides! I'm thinking that knee was a blessing in disguise... you were born to ride!